Our members have been busy receiving kudos, having books published, winning awards, and more!
Read all the latest and greatest here…
CRYSTAL KITE AWARD
Congratulations to the finalists for the Southwest Region’s Crystal Kite award!
- A Sporting Chance: How Ludwig Guttmann Created the Paralympic Games, Author: Lori Alexander, Illustrator: Allan Drummond
- Midnight at the Barclay Hotel, Author: Fleur Bradley, Illustrator: Xavier Bonet
- Swashby and the Sea, Author: Beth Ferry, Illustrator: Juana Martinez-Neal
- The Fort, Author: Laura Perdew, Illustrator: Adelina Lirius
COLORADO BOOK AWARDS – Finalists
The finalists for the 2021 Colorado Book Awards have been announced, and we’re thrilled to see so many SCBWI members being honored!
- Cow Boy Is NOT a Cowboy by Gregory Barrington (HarperCollins)
- Flibbertigibbety Words: Young Shakespeare Chases Inspiration written by Donna Guthrie, illustrated by Åsa Gilland (Page Street Publishing)
- I Will Dance written by Nancy Bo Flood, illustrated by Julianna Swaney (Simon & Schuster)
- Snoozapalooza written by Kimberlee Gard, illustrated by Vivian Mineker (Families)
- Born Curious: 20 Girls Who Grew Up to Be Awesome Scientists written by Martha Freeman, illustrated by Katy Wu (Simon & Schuster)
- When You Know What I Know by Sonja K. Solter (Little, Brown Books for Young Readers)
- Midnight at the Barclay Hotel written by Fleur Bradley, illustrated by Xavier Bonet (Viking/Penguin Random House)
- The Aspen Cookbook: 100+ favorite recipes from local chefs and restaurants edited by Amanda Rae Busch, illustrated by Julia Bridgforth (Aspen Board of Realtors)
- Chicana Activists of Colorado: Powerful Women Paper Dolls and Their Stories by Deborah Martinez Martinez, illustrated by Robert W. Pacheco (Vanishing Horizons)
- Wild: Uncivilized Tales from Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers edited by Rachel Delaney Craft and Natasha Watts (RMFW Press)
MEMBER GOOD NEWS
Author/illustrator Z.B. Asterplume’s debut picture book DARIO’S TIGER, about a boy whose day goes from lean to lush when he opens the pantry door in search of food and finds a tiger instead, will be published by Feiwel and Friends, an imprint of Macmillan publishing, in winter 2023.
Fleur Bradley’s middle-grade novel Midnight at the Barclay Hotel was named a finalist in the Young Readers category for the Mountains and Plains Booksellers’ Reading the West Award. You can vote for the winner until May 15th – click here.
Mia and the Hummingbird was published by Sage Green Press in March 2021. The author\illustrator is Nancy Carlisle. In this story, a persistent girl who immigrates to a new country and a resilient hummingbird cross paths as they build their new homes. More information can be found by clicking here.
Art teachers, science teachers and anyone interested in a book focusing on individual creativity may be interested in looking at The Color of Water by two SCBWI members: author, Karen Morrow Durica and illustrator, Adam J. Durica (mother-son team). The book is available on Amazon: Kindle Books.
The Changing Story, written by Ahriana Platten and illustrated by April Lavely-Robinson, is available now (Amazon/Balboa books). The story follows a mighty mountain and her journey to discover her inner light. This is April’s first published illustration project and it’s inspired her to explore the world of Children’s Literature further.
Deborah Holt Williams of Glenwood Springs recently signed with agent Jennifer Chen Tran of the Bradford Literary Agency.